Tuesday, February 10, 2009

the organic transition

I have been studying nutrition and what the benefits are from certain foods in my herbalist program. Did you know that asparagus can help with fertility? I am learning so much already! I am so much more aware of what I eat now and I want to have the best quality. So this week I am starting to transition into buying organic foods to have at home. Last night I made tacos with black beans and guacamole. Every single thing we put in our mouths was organic from the cilantro to the blue corn taco shells. It was so yummy and fresh tasting. I can't wait to have the left overs tonight. It honestly wasn't much more expensive to use organic products. I saved money by shredding cheese I had bought for sandwiches instead of buying the already shredded cheese and I bought the Whole Foods organic name brand,365, items if they were available. I spent about $20 and it made 4 servings. Another good idea is to buy sale items in bulk. It will save you money in the long run.
If you are wanting to make this transition as well but can't afford to buy everything organic refer to the "dirty dozen" when you're shopping which lists the fruits and vegetables that have been the most exposed to pesticides. This list includes peaches, apples, sweet bell peppers, celery, nectarines, strawberries, cherries, lettuces, grapes, pears, spinach and potatoes. One of the biggest concerns with pesticides is that it can cause long-term damage to the brain and nervous system in children. Some more food for thought is that conventionally grown produce is grown in sewage sludge. Yummy, huh?

No comments: